5/14/2010

FIL-AM AKO

http://www.filamako.com/2010/05/the-situasians-of-koreatown-reality-show/

Source: FIL-AM AKO, May 7, 2010

The SituAsians of Koreatown Reality Show

I’ve been following the news on the proposed Asian American reality show set in LA’s Koreatown, which is something I really don’t want to admit. Anyways, news last march on casting from Tyrese Gibson’s production company HQ Pictures called for colorful Asian-Americans to cast in a reality show similar to JERSEY SHORE, REAL WORLD, THE HILLS, etc. This show even before casting began got a lot of backlash for being called the Asian Jersey Shore. I’ve never really seen that show since I’ve been over exposed to that subculture through HCWDB and through my visits to Naperville (anyone from Illinois, you know what I mean). What caught my attention on this proposed Asian American reality show was its goal to feature multi dimensional characters meaning not your typical Asian stereotypes like the nerd, the martial artist, the slutty girl as stated by the producers.

What I saw from the interviews from ProjektNewSpeak is that a lot of the Asian males coming out for the auditions are really one dimensional and kind of lacked charisma, especially when the majority of them could only come up with the SituAsian as a nickname. Now, I’m not going to judge this show until the final product comes out, but I want to know what are your thoughts on this show? I also wanted to know if any Filipinos were allowed to audition for this show after the US Census announced Filipinos having their own ethnic category separate from Asian Americans.

References:
Angry Asian Man
channelAPA
ProjektNewSpeak

No comments:

Post a Comment