5/18/2010

Marginally Insane

http://marginallyinsane.com/tag/asian-americans/

Source: Marginally Insane, May 18, 2010

"Asian Jersey Shore": I'd Almost Watch It




If you haven’t heard, they’re casting for an Asian-American version of The Jersey Shore.  I’ve been on the fence about this, like I am about most reality TV shows, because
  1. Couldn’t they have just stuck Jon Gosselin and Tila Tequila in a room together and filmed that?
  2. Can’t they give Asian-Americans REAL acting jobs in scripted shows and movies, instead?
  3. Does equal-opportunity stereotyping make stereotyping OK?
  4. Isn’t this going to reinforce the nerd vs. thug dichotomy among Asian-Americans?
But, after talking to family, friends and co-workers who overwhelmingly admit that they’d watch it, I kind of want to say that maybe I’d watch it too.  Juuuust maaaaybe.  After all, I’ll fess up and say I used to watch both Jon & Kate Plus 8 AND Shot at Love with Tila Tequila.  There’s something to be said about rubbernecking.  But, when the train wreck looks a lot more like you do, you kind of get this added boost in self-importance and awareness.  And isn’t that exactly what reality TV is supposed to do?
All I can say is that it’s probably a good thing that I no longer have cable.

No comments:

Post a Comment